Thursday, August 12, 2010

Random Thoughts on the Treadmill

So today while I was doing my 50 mins of cardio on the treadmill, I mused about all the little tricks and things I think about to keep on the gerbil wheel. I am more than willing to admit that I get bored really easy. So far I have not abandoned my workouts yet, but the thought had crossed my mind on more than one occasion. If I can get through the first 15 minutes, I am pretty much set to finish the entire workout. But I do play little mind games with myself to get through the time. I am almost afraid to talk about this because it is going to reveal some of the crazy thought process goes through my head. I have not mentioned this yet, but yeah, I am crazy.

So you may ask how do I break my treadmill workout down or what games do I play to get through a workout. Well a lot of it is just grinding out the minutes. When I do just a straight 50 minutes on the treadmill ( vs a C25K workout), I break the time into 5 minute sets. Now sometimes like today there were a few 5 minute sets that I had to break down into thirds ( 1 min 40 sec sets). I try to just get through that set and tell myself that I have X amount left to do. One of the few things I have liked about the Beachbody fitness home exercise dvds is that they use a countdown timer. I really like seeing my workout time progress down and it gives me something more to focus on, I wish my treadmill had a feature like that. Once I have gotten past the fifth set, I know I am halfway finished and I imagine that the last half is just a downhill set. I still countdown each 5 min. set until I am finished. I have even gotten as bored to figure out when I am a third of the way through (about the 17 min. mark) and will remind myself I am one third done. If you are still reading this and not laughing your head off at what a loon I am I still have other tricks. These pretty much involve breaking up the time and then changing the incline or speed.

Yesterday I did day two of C25K training and ChaLean Extreme and it was tough. If I remember correctly from the last time I did the C25K program, the second day was the hardest day of the three in the week set. I was always amazed at how I was able to power through the third day. But I think doing running intervals in my Skecher Shape-Ups is a good idea. These shoes are suppose to be for walking, so I will try running with my other athletic shoes instead. As for the ChaLean Extreme program, meh, well I am doing to get some weight lifting done. I was suppose to do Ab Circuits and Burn Intervals today, but since I had already done 50 mins of cardio, I chose the lazy route today. I also have not been eating all my calories that I am suppose to eat according to CalorieKing, although today my appetite came back so it might not be a problem today.

About Calorie King, I really like this software. There is more to it than just keeping track of the calories that I am eating and how many I am burning from exercising. There are articles (lifestyle changes vs diet) that they suggest you read and they have other little tools (motivation) that I really like. I can get real obsessive about measuring my food and easily put off if I don't have the information about the right kind of food (like all they list is apple and I wanted the nutritional info about Pink Lady apples). Maybe if I relax a little, this is just counting calories not delicate chemical equation that might blow up in my face if I get it wrong, I might be able to do this. Did I mention that I get obsessive and am crazy.

On the knitting and girly front, I actually painted my nails today, don't let your jaw hit the ground. I put on Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Red Carpet. If I can get a picture uploaded, I might post one. As for the bat shawl, my progress has slowed down a little, I am going to go tackle that after this post. I did manage to wind the second skein of yarn into a ball yesterday without it becoming this huge tangled mess, so there won't be any deep contemplation like there was when I had to untangle the first skein. *Phew* My poor brain is still sore from all that thinking.

Hah!!! I just saw a commercial for a David Hasselhoff roast on Comedy Central for this Sunday. This could be pretty funny. The William Shatner roast was classic. Tonight is going to be a long one I predict, there is suppose to be a Friday the 13th update at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. My wallet is crying because it has heard rumors that there might be Weenies and I love the Weenies.

No comments:

Post a Comment